Our History

In 1920 a committee of local residents, purchased 10 acres of wooded paddock to develop an oval and recreation ground. It was named the Edwardstown Soldiers’ Memorial Recreation Ground in honour of returned servicemen.

Cricket, football and rugby were played here from the start. The cycling velodrome was being used by the Sturt Amateur Cycling club and the local community as early as 1911. Baseball became popular from the late 1920s. From 1922 athletics carnivals and other events were held here.

From the Oval’s earliest days the RSL has been an active user of the ground. Cricket and football matches had a charitable purpose. The Returned Soldiers’ Electric Light Cricket Association was a wonderful outlet for returned men in the 1930s, as was the RSL Football Association from the 1940s.

Scouts and Guides camps and rallies were held in the 1930s, amateur cycling and horses-in-action carnivals became popular in the 1940s and fetes, youth clubs, Carols by Candlelight and Marion’s Centenary Celebrations were held here in the 1950s.

In 1920 a committee of local residents, purchased 10 acres of wooded paddock to develop an oval and recreation ground. It was named the Edwardstown Soldiers’ Memorial Recreation Ground in honour of returned servicemen.

The South Road Cricket Club played here from 1942. In 1944 the site was transferred to the ownership of Marion Council.

The Memorial Community Hall, built in 1958, accommodated a variety of community groups, wedding receptions, 21st birthdays parties, yoga and dance classes.

In 1960 the Edwardstown Bowling Club was established. In 1975 the Edwardstown Football Club opened its two storey complex.

The Memorial Gates were unveiled in 1959. In 1981 the RSL Memorial Garden opened in the Rose Garden first established in the 1950s. The Memorial Gates and some of the original roses still exist today.

The Edwardstown and District Honour Roll listing the names of local servicemen from the 1914 – 1918 conflict returned to the site and is located in the sports and community facility opened in 2019.

This site has had a long rich life, and this will continue into the future, as it evolves with the community and remains a place of welcome for all.